• 2 large goose or wild turkey legs (thigh and drumstick) or combination of legs and wings of turkey or other game birds, about 3 lb.
• 1 shallot, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 Tbsp. coriander seed
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
• 1 tsp. black pepper
• 2 small (10 oz.) or 1 larger can Enchilada sauce
• 10-14 oz. cheese – your choice of cheddar, jack, etc.
• 1.25 oz. packet of Fajita seasoning, or mix your own
• 1 can diced tomatoes (10-15 oz.) can with green chilies or fire roasted tomatoes including liquid
• 1 can beans (opt.) black, pinto, etc., rinsed & drained
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 or 3 cloves garlic, to taste, crushed
• 10 large burrito sized flour tortillas, whole wheat
• 1 Tbsp. olive oil for saute
Put meat in a crock pot (or heavy sauce pan w/lid for stove or oven) cover with braising liquid: water and stock or broth.
Add shallot, garlic, coriander, bay leaves, thyme, pepper & salt (optional) to pot. Cover; simmer until meat is tender and easily separates from the bone (about 4 hr. on high heat crock pot, 6-8 hr. on low heat crock pot or 3 hr. on stove or oven at 325º), adding more liquid as needed.
Let cool, pick meat from bones. Strain liquid. Chop into pieces.
Saute 1 chopped onion in olive oil in large skillet until translucent. Stir in crushed cloves of garlic, meat & fajita seasoning, add diced tomatoes; drain liquid off can and stir in beans. Heat until bubbling. Add hot sauce, diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce if desired.
Heat oven to 350º. Cover bottom of baking dishes (13×9 and 8×8) with enchilada sauce. One at a time, heat tortillas in a large skillet or 10 sec. in microwave to make flexible, add meat mixture and about 1 oz. shredded cheese to each tortilla, roll & fold in ends; place in baking dishes. When tortillas have been filled and placed in baking dishes, top with remaining enchilada sauce, cover baking dish with foil; bake until bubbling, about 40 min. Remove foil; bake another 15 min. or until enchiladas start to crisp up. Serves 10.